Water Street Sewer Interceptor Replacement Project Update
Construction activities completed the week of March 24, 2023, consisted of the following:
- On Monday (3/20), NCS continued prepping the subgrade for the upcoming pavement restoration along Water Street (from rotary towards Chilton Street).
- On Tuesday (3/21), NCS saw-cut the pavement and marked the roadway where an existing transite drain line runs above the existing 12-inch DI water main located near the intersection of Chilton Street and Water Street. The transite pipe was removed and disposed on Thursday (3/23) in order to complete the water main tee/valve replacement work at this intersection. The area was backfilled and paved following completion of this work.
- On Wednesday (3/22), NCS installed the frame and cover on the first new sewer manhole on Water Street (near rotary). The crew also placed a 7” asphalt trench patch for the previously completed water main work near Howland Street and Brewster Street.
- Traffic continued to be detoured per the construction signage and the message boards provided for the project.
- Site cleanup took place at the end of each day.
What's happening in the next week:
Northern Construction Services will continue on-site work next week (week of March 27, 2023). The work activities that will be performed next week include the following:
- Digging of test pits between Howland Street and Brewster Street to confirm the depth of sewer service laterals in the area.
- Drilling of additional test borings along Water Street sewer interceptor alignment (date TBD).
- Installation of casings for additional deep wells to be installed along Water Street sewer interceptor alignment (scheduled for Wednesday, 3/29, and Thursday, 3/30).
- Drilling of additional deep wells along Water Street sewer interceptor alignment (scheduled for Friday, 3/31, and Saturday, 4/1).
The Town and the Contractor will make every effort possible to minimize disturbances to residents, businesses, pedestrians, and motorists in the Water Street area throughout the duration of this project.
During construction, please expect to be inconvenienced by traffic delays, detours, uneven/settling trenches, parking restrictions, and elevated noise levels. Please follow the detour signs that are installed along the project area. Traffic detours will be modified as construction progresses towards the State Pier. The Town appreciates the community’s patience and support during this project, which will improve the resilience of the Town’s sewer system.