How to Obtain a Marriage License


Due to the pandemic, marriage Intentions are taken by appointment only at this time!

Please call Town Clerk, Pearl M. Sears at 508-322-3301 to schedule an intention appointment.

Licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of application. There is a three day wait before a license can be picked up after applying (days not business days). If the couple is unable to wait three days they can appear before a judge and request a waiver of the three day wait.  Fees for a three day waiver vary depending on the court.  Marriage applications do not require an appointment.

Both members of the couple must appear together in the Town Clerk’s Office to apply for the license.  The only exceptions are if one member is in the military, incarcerated, or hospitalized.  

The three forms in the application process will take about 30 minutes to complete.  In addition to basic information the forms also ask for your last name to be used after marriage for both members of the couple.

After completing the forms you will read the legal impediments to marriage and take an oath that there are no legal impediments to the marriage.

There is a $40 fee for the processing of the application which can be paid by cash, check or charge with a small processing fee.

After the three day wait and before the license expires the license is picked up at the Town Clerk’s Office.  The license cannot be mailed.  

The license is then given to the person performing the ceremony.  

If the person performing your ceremony is a clergy member or Justice of the Peace from another state he/she will need a solemnizer certificate to perform the ceremony :

If the person performing your ceremony is not a Justice of the Peace or a clergy member he/she will need a one-day solemnizer certificate to perform the ceremony:​​

After the ceremony the license is returned to the Town Clerk’s Office by the person who performed the ceremony. Once received it is recorded and a certified copy can be obtained in person or by mail for $15. If requesting a certified copy by mail, please also include a self addressed stamped envelope and a note with the names and date of marriage.